Venn diagram

Compare your dogs to Gracie Select one to begin:

Gracie

American Bully

Smarter dog care powered by DNA
SHOP NOW

“Gracie is my PTSD service doggo. She saves my life on a daily basis and I feel so lucky we were able to find each other. Although I am slightly biased, Gracie is the sweetest most loving dog I have ever met. In fact she is such a sweetheart I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn her DNA is 99% pure sugar. The other 1% being treats. She is the best friend I could ask for. A stranger to her is a friend she wasn't met yet. I LOVE her attitude towards life, she IS the perfect dog!!”

Place of Birth

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, USA

Current Location

Guilford, Maine, USA

From

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, USA

This dog has been viewed and been given 1 wag

Genetic Breed Result

Loading...

American Bully

The American Bully may look intimidating with its muscular build, but these dogs are bred to be the ideal family or companion dog. This breed is notable for coming in several different size and type varieties, so there's a lot of diversity in their appearance. They're a newer breed, originating in the 80s and 90s in the United States.

Learn More

Start a conversation! Message this dog’s humans.

Loading...

Explore

Here’s what Gracie’s family tree may have looked like.
While there may be other possible configurations of her family’s relationships, this is the most likely family tree to explain Gracie’s breed mix.

Breed Reveal Video

Embark Logo Learn more about Embark

Explore

Traits

Explore the genetics behind your dog’s appearance and size.

Base Coat Color

Base Coat Color

Coat Color Modifiers

Coat Color Modifiers

Other Coat Traits

Other Coat Traits

Other Body Features

Other Body Features

Body Size

Body Size

Performance

Performance

Embark Logo Learn more about Embark

Explore

Through Gracie’s mitochondrial DNA we can trace her mother’s ancestry back to where dogs and people first became friends. This map helps you visualize the routes that her ancestors took to your home. Their story is described below the map.

Haplogroup

A1a

Haplotype

A388

Map

A1a

Gracie’s Haplogroup

A1a is the most common maternal lineage among Western dogs. This lineage traveled from the site of dog domestication in Central Asia to Europe along with an early dog expansion perhaps 10,000 years ago. It hung around in European village dogs for many millennia. Then, about 300 years ago, some of the prized females in the line were chosen as the founding dogs for several dog breeds. That set in motion a huge expansion of this lineage. It's now the maternal lineage of the overwhelming majority of Mastiffs, Labrador Retrievers and Gordon Setters. About half of Boxers and less than half of Shar-Pei dogs descend from the A1a line. It is also common across the world among village dogs, a legacy of European colonialism.

A388

Gracie’s Haplotype

Part of the large A1a haplogroup, this haplotype occurs most frequently in Staffordshire Terriers, Labrador Retrievers, and English Bulldogs.

Some other Embark dogs with this haplotype:

Shar Pei dogs think A1a is the coolest!

Embark Logo Learn more about Embark

Explore

The Paternal Haplotype reveals a dog’s deep ancestral lineage, stretching back thousands of years to the original domestication of dogs.

Are you looking for information on the breeds that Gracie inherited from her mom and dad? Check out her breed breakdown and family tree.

Paternal Haplotype is determined by looking at a dog’s Y-chromosome—but not all dogs have Y-chromosomes!

Why can’t we show Paternal Haplotype results for female dogs?

All dogs have two sex chromosomes. Female dogs have two X-chromosomes (XX) and male dogs have one X-chromosome and one Y-chromosome (XY). When having offspring, female (XX) dogs always pass an X-chromosome to their puppy. Male (XY) dogs can pass either an X or a Y-chromosome—if the puppy receives an X-chromosome from its father then it will be a female (XX) puppy and if it receives a Y-chromosome then it will be a male (XY) puppy. As you can see, Y-chromosomes are passed down from a male dog only to its male offspring.

Since Gracie is a female (XX) dog, she has no Y-chromosome for us to analyze and determine a paternal haplotype.

Embark Logo Learn more about Embark

Explore